Brother HL-6050D Laser Printer Review
Posted by Ink Oasis on 1/25/2012
to Printer Reviews
Many people interested in buying the Brother HL-6050D already know that it is a good bit more expensive than other black and white laser printers. Unlike other printers in its class, the Brother HL-6050D is unique in terms of delivering critical security features. This includes a number lock as well as several kinds of software based security options. If you need a dedicated printer for checks or other sensitive materials, this printer may have special appeal for you, in spite of its price and lack of multi-function features.
Brother HL-6050D Toner Cartridges and Drums Required
· TN670 Toner Cartridge
, Yield 6500 pages
· DR600 Drum Cartridge, Yield 30,000 pages
Brother HL-6050D —Features
· Prints on both sides of paper. Duplex printing is ideal for brochures or media that require text or images on both sides of the page.
· Mac compatible. Individuals that have gotten free of PC based products are sure to enjoy being able to use this printer with MAC devices.
· 1200 x 1200 dpi printing. A reasonably high level of quality for letters and other important documents.
· Secure print features. Never worry about inappropriate personnel printing checks or other sensitive media with the Brother HL-6050D.
· Can be upgraded to print barcodes. If you have a large number of products, you can easily purchase an attachment that will help you print barcodes with ease.
What Users Like about the product
· Economical on toner
· Upgrade options
Yvonne T. – Even though we strive to use as little paper as possible, there are always things that must be printed. I was very relieved to see that the toner for the Brother HL-6050D truly does print over 6000 pages per cartridge. That alone makes this printer more than worth the purchase price.
Grady W. – After our network was hijacked, we knew that we needed a secure printer for checks. Thankfully, the Brother HL-6050D has a lock right on the printer, as well as an excellent suite of other security options. At least now we do not have to worry about a whole box of wasted checks, not to mention what hackers did to ruin the data in our accounting program.
What Users Don't like about the product
· Print quality could be better
Cindy P. – I bought this printer because of the security features. Even though I could not find a printer with these features, I feel it is far more expensive than it is worth. In my opinion, Brother should have made these security features an option that could be added to any other printer. That would have been a better deal, since I wanted a color laser to begin with.
Fiona W. – Initially, I was quite happy to see that this laser printer is not a toner hog. On the other hand, the print quality leaves something to be desired. I would not use this printer for letterhead or for occasions where I want my company to look as good as possible.
Overall, we feel the Brother HL-6050D is suitable for people that are mainly concerned with secure printing. It is not ideal if you want good quality printing for brochures or letterhead. Considering the price, you can get more for your money with other models if you do not require these extra features.